Community Leadership Training
Similar to countless countries throughout the world, the commercial sexual exploitation of minors continues to grow in the rural, coastal and metropolitan regions of Costa Rica. This, along with the trafficking of women and children in and out of the country, is at an all-time high. As we approach this global tragedy on a local level, Face of Justice is actively pursuing solutions to protect the vulnerable from falling victim to this reality. We are partnering with government agencies and other NGOs to bring awareness and education throughout the country. We believe an effective strategy is to educate local community leaders, missionaries, and local service providers who work with these women and children in their communities on a daily basis. For this project we have been partnering with Christian Darcia Carballo, a prosecuting attorney with the Gender Violence Unit of Poder Judicial, who joins us in a personal capacity and teaches about the Costa Rican laws related to trafficking, exploitation, pedophilia and pornography. Our main objectives for this program are:
- To build a bridge of trust between the people and government officials who are fighting to end trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation in Costa Rica.
- To motivate community leaders to report and be a part of the solution.
- To educate community leaders on how to identify victims.
- To explain the laws related to trafficking and commercial sexual exploitation.
- To educate about how to utilize the government reporting system currently in place.